Hospitalist providers provide a number of vital services at MGH depending on what would best serve the needs of the patient
What is a Hospitalist?
A Hospitalist is a provider who specializes in the care of hospitalized patients and practices in the hospital, not in an office. They are providers whose primary focus is the general medical care of hospitalized patients. Hospitalists help manage patients through the continuum of hospital care, overseeing their surgical care, seeing patients in the ER, following them into the critical care unit, and organizing post-acute care.
Hospitalists are available at MGH daily and on weekends for patients or family concerns. Their diagnostic interpretations avoid delay in medical decision-making. During your inpatient stay, Hospitalists engage in prompt communication with your primary care provider to ensure your smooth transition to follow-up care after hospital discharge.
The goal of the Hospitalist Program is to get patients healthy and back to their own doctors for follow-up care as quickly as possible.
Our Hospitalists are Dedicated to Inpatient Care
Advantages to the Hospitalist Program include:
- Hospitalist Providers are available at MGH 24 hours a day, Friday evenings through Monday mornings.
- Hospitalist Providers are available throughout the weekend for family or patient concerns.
- Timely diagnostic interpretations ensure no delay in medical decision-making.
- Prompt and appropriate communication with your primary care physician during the inpatient stay ensures a smooth transition to follow-up care after hospital discharge.
Hospitalist Providers Provide Vital Services
Hospitalist providers provide a number of vital services at MGH depending on what would best serve the needs of the patient:
- Care for patients who are admitted through the Emergency Department.
- Admission and care of patients who are admitted by their primary care providers to the hospital.
- Consultations for medical conditions for patients under sub-specialty care (such as an orthopedic surgery patient)
- Hospitalist services are provided to patients 18 years of age or older.
If your primary care provider utilizes Hospitalist services for your inpatient admission, you can be confident that your primary care physician will be informed of the details of your stay – from admission through discharge. It is the goal of the Hospitalist Program to get patients healthy and back to their own doctors for follow-up care, as quickly as possible.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions, please contact MGH&FC at (360) 426-1611 (from Allyn (360) 275-8614).
If you would like to speak with one of the hospitalists while you or a member of your family is in the hospital, it is best to ask the nurse caring for you to page the doctor.